Looking for an alternative to ground hamburger for a family meal? If so, you may want to consider cooking this ground turkey skillet recipe instead.
It makes for a great skillet meal when accompanied with the right ingredients and flavors. Actually this skillet meal I prepared recently was quite delicious.
Not quite sure if this could be considered a healthy recipe, but ground turkey is less expensive than hamburger meat and is very tasty.
My Ground Turkey Skillet Recipe Ingredients
Feel free to play around with your favorite ingredients.
These are the ones used for my recent family meal preparation.
Amounts and measurements are approximate.
- 16 ounces of Butterball ground turkey meat
- 1 -2 cups of diced sweet onions
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped in chunks
- 1/4 stick butter
- 3/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp chipotle pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp kosher salt
- In this preparation, I used a pound of Butterball brand ground turkey meat as the base for the one skillet meal. First, I prepared some bacon strips and reserved the bacon grease.
- I next browned the turkey meat in the bacon grease. Nothing better than that. Then I seasoned the ground turkey meat with garlic powder, onion powder and various ground peppers. Once browned, I placed the meat in a bowl, while reserving the fat liquid in the skillet.
- Next I sauteed and sweated some diced onions and sliced mushrooms. Add back in the browned turkey meat with the sauteed vegetables and chopped bacon and blend gently.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes and then shut off the heat.
Don’t get me wrong, I love hamburger meat, but have you noticed how expensive it has gotten lately?
Ground turkey meat is a lower cost alternative for your family meals and it really tastes good. Experiment with your favorite ingredients and I think you will be happy with the cooking results.
Try this and you will be pleasantly surprised at how good this really tastes.
While it is not the same taste as hamburger meat, it is an economical and tasty substitution.